Gardening is a beautiful activity that is enjoyable for all, but there is no denying there are some barriers which might stop people from making the most of this hobby.
Some gardening equipment, particularly lawn mowers, are heavy, wieldy, and traditionally have been the preserve of men leading the household. Now, times have changed, families have evolved, and gardening should be everyone.
While some heavy-duty lawn mowers pose a challenge to some users, there is a growing array of lawn mowers, and gardening products, aimed at women, suitable for people of all ages, strengths and confidence levels.
Whether you are the head of your household and want a lovely-looking garden, or this is your hobby, this guide takes you through the best options, so please consider this information if you are looking for a new lawn mower.
Petrol Lawn Mowers For Ladies
If you have used old petrol lawn mowers, you know how difficult some of them are to start up. If you need a pull cord to fire it up, it can be as much effort to get started as using the lawn mower.
Even strong people find it takes a lot of time and effort to start traditional lawn mowers with a pulling cord, so an easy-to-start mower is essential for modern consumers.
Easy-to-start lawn mowers come in all shapes and sizes and are powered in various ways. It is not as if you have to choose an electric-powered lawn mower, battery-powered lawn mower or a gas-powered mower to enjoy an easy-to-start device; this mechanism should be available in all devices.
However, for simplicity, an electric starting mechanism is the right lawn mower if you are concerned about using a pull cord every time you mow your lawn. The following Murray petrol model is an excellent example of an easy start
The Murray EQ2-300 push 2-in-1 16″/41cm petrol lawnmower with easy to start 300E Briggs & Stratton engine is one of many lawnmowers billing itself on how easy it is to start the device. This is clearly an issue if manufacturers are titling their product to address this feature, and the Murray mower has scored a positive rating out of more than 660 reviews.
A quick look at the reviews sees users commenting on how easy it is to set up and how a gentle pull is all that is required to ensure it starts first time. Anyone who has concerns about how easy it is to start their mower will find this petrol model, and similar options, to be worth considering.
Reasons to consider this petrol lawn mower include:
- The easy to start engine takes the stress out of using this machine
- There is a 45 litre grass bag, handy for collecting clippings
- The integrated wash port and air filters makes this lawn mower easy to clean
- There are six cutting heights, helping you easily cut short and long grass
Given petrol lawn mowers are often quite heavy, some women have concerns about moving it around their lawn. Thankfully, with a self propelled petrol mower, you receive all the power, while the mower moves forward of its own accord. All you need to do is navigate, and your lawn will look brilliant in no time.
Reasons to consider this gas powered mower include:
- There are seven cutting heights to choose from
- Grass can be collected in the 45 litre grass bag, or discharged onto grass, helping fertilise the soil and adding nutrients
- There is no need to push the mower as the self propelled mechanism takes care of everything
- The easy start mechanism allows you to begin mowing in no time
Combining the power of petrol mowers with the convenience of self propelled movement is a great feature for many women, and the Nexus self propelled petrol lawn mower is a fine example of comfort and power in one big machine. This is easily one of the best lawn mowers in this style, helping you tidy your lawn quickly.
Reasons to choose this self propelled lawn mower include:
- There is an easy starter mechanism with the Briggs & Stratton 300E series engine
- The 2 in 1 cutting system collects clippings, and allows for rear discharge
- With six cutting heights, there is great flexibility on offer
- There is an ergonomic handle bar that makes it easier to move
Petrol lawnmowers are often seen as large and powerful, ideal if you have large lawns to cover. However, this often means many people believe gas powered mowers are expensive, but this doesn’t have to be the case.
The Cobra petrol machine provides a considerable punch for what is an affordable price, especially when compared with other petrol models.
Reasons to choose this gas powered model include:
- You have a 50 litre grass bag, ideal for large lawns
- The cutting width is 41cm
- There are 10 cutting levels to choose from
- Reviews suggest the majority of users consider it great value for money, and easy to assemble
Electric Mowers For Ladies
Electric mowers are deemed to be lighter than traditional petrol mowers, as well as being better for the environment. This means many consumers will view electric mowers as a natural choice for ladies, but the great news is, the full range of electric mowers ensure there is something for everyone.
No matter what criterion matters to you with a mower, be it easy to use, easy to start, easy to store, easy to cut grass, simple to tidy up after, or just being eco-friendly, the full range of electric mowers for women has something for everyone! You can even choose between corded and cordless lawn mowers, helping you find the best lawn mower for your needs.
Hyundai is a leading name in electronics, and the company has a sterling reputation in self propelled lawn mowers. If you need assistance in moving your mower across your lawn, this is one of the best lawn mowers that makes life easier without compromising on the quality of mowing.
Reasons to choose this electric self propelled model include:
- With four walking speeds, you’ll find a pace that suits you as you steer
- The easy-start mechanism removes some of the stress of starting the machine
- There is a 70 litre grass bag to collect a lot of grass clippings, and there are mulching capabilities
- Foldable handles make it easier to store this lawn mower after use
If you are looking for a lawnmower that is easy to use, a machine that hovers is going to be at the top of your list. The LawnMaster 33cm Hover Lawnmower | Powerful 1500W Motor floats on “a cushion of air” which should ensure every user is able to navigate it around their garden with minimal effort.
There are other reasons to consider this electric lawn mower over most mowers, it is powerful, and claims to be collapsible making it easy to store. However, if your main focus is finding a device that glides across the lawn while cutting grass, hover mowers are the sort of thing you should put first.
Reasons to choose this electric corded lawn mower include:
- This is a lightweight mower but it carries 1500W, making it extremely powerful
- The rear bagging mulching capability cares for your lawn and reduces the work you have to do in tidying up a garden
- This mower can be hung on the wall of a garden shed or garage, offering an easy storage option
- Foam covered handles make this an easy to move mower
It is fair to say many electric lawn mowers are best suited to small or small to medium gardens. If you have a small garden, it is best to focus on features best suited to your circumstances. In many cases, having a corded lawn mower that is too powerful causes problems when mowing a smaller garden, but this is why the Einhell GE-EM 1233 electric mower is a sensible choice.
In the grand scheme of things, this is an affordable mower, it has five cutting heights, and the grass box should be more than suitable for a small garden, or just slightly bigger.
Reasons to consider this alongside electric corded mowers include:
- The 1250W carbon powered motor should cover most small gardens with ease
- The wide wheel system protects the lawn
- The edge cutting system allows you to cut right to the end of the lawn
- Users score it extremely high with respect to value for money
Many women want a lightweight mower, as this is easy to store, move around, and position where they want it. While each person has their definition of lightweight, you cannot argue that less than 9kg is light for an electric mower, and this is why the Flymo Easimo product is worth considering.
It’s billed as an ideal purchase for first-time buyers, so if you are venturing into the world of gardening and lawn maintenance, this could be exactly what you need.
Reasons to consider this electric model include:
- At 8.3kg, you can lift, move and find an easy storage solution for this electric mower with a minimum of fuss and effort
- The 32cm metal cutting blade is ideal for small and medium lawns
- This mower compacts grass, allowing you to collect more than you’d expect in the 29 litre grass bag
- The ergonomic design of the mower’s handle helps you move it with confidence, without feeling tired
Flymo is a well-known name in the lawn mower industry, and they have a selection of mowers which make the tidying process much easier. The Glider product is aimed at small and medium gardens, and gardeners who want to save time on the tidying up process. This is a great mower aimed at people with busy lives, so most women will appreciate these features.
Reasons to consider this electric lawnmower include:
- This is a hover mower, gliding across the grass with ease
- There is a 1700W motor, providing plenty of power
- The compacting facility allows you to collect more grass, reducing stopping time to empty the big grass bag
- A 33 cm cutting width allows you to cover a lot of space in a short space of time
Cordless Lawn Mowers
Corded electric lawn mowers have their uses, but they also have their limitations. If you are concerned about trip or safety hazards with an extension cord, a cordless lawn mower or battery powered mowers are likely to be best for you.
Thankfully, there is an excellent range of cordless mowers to choose from, all of which should ensure every woman has the mower that fits with their life, and needs.
The cordless mower provided by Yard Force appears to be a good all-round option and an electric lawn mower that is easy to maintain. There is a brushless motor, which carries a range of benefits including producing more power, running for longer and lasting longer due to reduced friction. If you want a cordless mower that offers good peace of mind and a rechargeable battery with strong battery life, this is an excellent choice.
Reasons to choose this cordless lawn mower include:
- The 40V Lithium-Ion 2.5Ah battery and quick charger are included, and interchangeable with other GR40 range products
- The rear roller allows you to apply a striped finish to your garden
- There is a 35 litre grass collection bag, including rear bagging
- You can choose from a full adjustable cutting height, with seven options
If you think cordless lawnmowers lack power and are only suitable for small gardens, be prepared to be surprised by the Greenworks G40LM41K2X model. This is a cordless mower that packs a powerful punch, coming with two batteries and a three year guarantee.
Reasons to choose this cordless mower include:
- There are five cutting heights available
- There is a mulching system in place, and the grass collection bag holds up to 50 litres
- 18cm rear wheels provide a lot of control, ensuring you can move around obstacles and tight spaces
- Reviews suggest most users think this a mower that is easy to use and provides easy storage options
One of the benefits of a cordless device is more flexibility, and if you are looking to style your garden, this is an ideal option to consider. The rear strip rollers ensure you can create a striped effect with minimum fuss and effort, and there is a 5 star rating for how easy the mower is to use.
Reasons to opt for this cordless mower include:
- You can choose between six cutting heights
- The battery (and charger) is applicable for all Mountfield Freedom 48 products
- There is a side mulching feature included with the lawnmower
- The anti-scalp comb enhances the appearance of your lawn after cutting it
This Hyundai model is known for being quiet, easy to use, and fast to charge. In around 80 minutes, the battery is fully powered and ready to go, so you don’t need to wait too long to set up your mower and get started.
Reasons to opt for this Lithium-ion battery lawnmower include:
- You have six cutting heights to choose from, ideal for medium sized lawns
- The cutting width is 42cm
- The grass collection bag holds 45 litres
- There is a mulching facility, helping you better care for your lawn
Robot Lawn Mower
While gardening appeals to many women, there might be reasons why you cannot cut your grass or care for your lawn in the way you’d like to. If you have mobility issues, or you have very little spare time, you don’t have many options. The thought of hiring a gardener to take care of everything for you is appealing, but this can be extremely expensive over time.
Thankfully, there is another option, and robot lawn mowers are becoming increasingly popular in certain circles, including with female gardeners who have medium lawns.
The Flymo name adds a level of trust to this product, and there are many features which make this appealing. If you can use a smartphone, you can program the app that drives the mower forward, and there are many safety features which protect you, loved ones, pets, garden furniture and even your grass.
Reasons to choose this robot mower include:
- The mower uses a self mulching facility, helping to care for your lawn
- Without the restriction of a cord or cable, the mower can access all your garden
- At less than 8kg, this is a lightweight mower, meaning most users can lift it
- An 18V battery and a 16 cm cutting width provides you with power and dependability in creating a great looking lawn
While cylinder lawn mowers are sometimes overlooked in comparison with rotary blades, they carry a wide range of benefits, especially to people looking to create a well-defined style in their garden. If you are a woman who wants their lawn to look just right, cylinder mowers are a suitable choice to achieve these goals. Check also what is a rotary lawn mower.
Some of the benefits of cylinder lawn mowers include being able to enjoy a precision cut, you reduce the risk of scalping the lawn, and you don’t compact the soil, which ruins its health. Also, with front and rear rollers, you can enjoy some of the finest stripes in your town, village or city!
This Webb cylinder lawnmower might look like a throwback, but it is an ideal option for many modern homes and gardens. This is a lightweight mower that is silent, easy to maintain, and very eco-friendly. If you favour simplicity and a great outcome, this is an excellent brand to consider.
Reasons to consider this new mower include:
- There is an 18 litre grass box, and the cylinder blades cut the grass very fine
- You can adjust the cutting height quickly, and easily
- The 30 cm cutting width means you cover a lot of ground on each pass
- The lightweight build makes it easy to move around
Eco Friendly Lawn Mower For Women
Environmental matters influence buying decisions, and various studies suggest women are more eco-focused than men. This means female gardeners can find a powerful lawn mower that cuts their grass without harming the environment. It stands to reason that battery powered lawnmowers better support the environment, but petrol options are improving. However, it is the aptly named Warrior Eco Power lawn mower that is well worth checking out.
If you thought eco-friendly lawn mowers compromises on power and the quality of finish, you might be surprised at how effective the Warrior Eco Power mower is. With twin 60V batteries and a brushless motor to boost performance, this is a mighty addition to your garden arsenal. However, it is also a low-noise and vibration machine, so you can use it early in the morning without annoying the neighbours.
Reasons to opt for this eco-friendly lawn mower include:
- This is a lightweight and cordless design, making it surprisingly easy to move around
- The 48cm cutting blade provides you with a close shave all across the garden
- There are six cutting heights to choose from
- With a 60 litre grass box, you can collect a lot of grass cuttings
Finding The Best Lawn Mowers For Women
After reading through the list, you’ll see it is not easy to say what are the best lawn mowers for women. There are many things to consider, and the best lawn mowers for some women, will be unsuitable for others. You can also check out our post about the best lawn mowers for elderly.
You’ll Find The New Mower That Is Better Than All Other Mowers For You
The great news, the vast array of lawn mowers available to choose from means that if you know what you need, finding the best lawn mowers for women is far from an impossible task.
If all you want to do is cut grass, talk of cutting width, a rear roller, grass combs or a rotary blade might seem overwhelming. Don’t panic, the best mower for your lawn, be it short grass, is available, and it’ll help you and other women love your garden.